Sunday, September 20, 2009

Under the Weather

Journal Entry-September 20, 2009

Rain, rain, and more rain! We really need it, but those inside recess days are tough! We need to be able to breathe some fresh air and try to avoid the inevitable germs of the season! Nevertheless, cold and flu season has begun-at school and home. Joey has had a cold, four of my students have been out with colds, and Joe woke up feeling "under the weather", too! My counts were low from radiation and I had a flu shot Tuesday, but whatever the combination of reasons, I have been sick with a cold since mid-week! I've been blessed to be well throughout my treatments, so I shouldn't complain now. I'm thankful for a short week at school for the kids-NO HOMEWORK!!!! I have to work so we can't go anywhere, but the break from routine is welcomed. Joe and Joey are going to the men's retreat at the Wilds, so Anna and I will enjoy some time together.
I wanted to give an update about the swollen lymph node. Dr. Wilcox and Dr. Go agree that the area of concern is significantly smaller, probably due to a combination of the antibiotic and the end of radiation treatments. So...only two Herceptin infusions and a routine radiation follow-up appointment in October! Then a PET scan November 2 with follow-up with Dr. Go on November 17.
As the first day of Fall approaches, I look back and realize that I've seen all four seasons throughout my cancer treatment. It hardly seems real; almost like the world and everyone else kept on moving and I just stood still. But one thing I know was constant:

"Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD my God, you are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty, covering yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent...He made the moon to mark the seasons; the sun knows its time for setting...O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all...These all look to you, to give them their food in due season. When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are filled with good things. When you hide your face, they are dismayed; when you take away their breath, they die and return to their dust. When you send forth your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground. May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works."
Psalm 104:1-2, 19, 24, 27, 29-31

1 comment:

  1. Shannon it's so good to hear you've done so well throughout your treatments~praying for you as you continue on~My sister, Jane Sarniak is also doing well~she is still getting her radiation treatments daily but today she said she has had some redness in the area and has been experiencing terrible headaches~so I would appreicate prayer for her and especially
    for her salvation~
    Because of Him, Judy White

    ReplyDelete