Sunday, April 19, 2009

Doctors and the Power of Prayer!

Journal Entry-April 19, 2009
I started off this week by trying to schedule Joey's EEG with Pediatric Neurology. They were able to work us in for the EEG on Thursday. At this point, the nurse told me it could be up to two weeks before the EEG was read. If it was normal, we wouldn't see a doctor for 3 months. If it was abnormal, they would work us in for an appointment. It was a little discouraging. When you get to this level of specialty, everyone's child is having seizures so you aren't that special!

I told a dear friend of mine that God was going to have to work a miracle like he did with Joey's hand surgeon back in September. Right after Joey's hand injury, I was trying to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rudisell, because we had heard he was very experienced with hand surgeries. They told me they were booking 3 months out for him so we would have to take the first available. They put me on hold and when they returned they said, "You sure are lucky because we just had a cancellation for Dr. Rudisell and he can see you tomorrow." I told them it wasn't luck, that it was the Lord!

So I wasn't surprised when later the same day I spoke with the neurologist's office, someone called to tell me that they had scheduled Joey for an appointment with the nurse practitioner immediately following his EEG and that Dr. Morales (the doctor we wanted) would pop his head in for 5-10 minutes and look at the EEG. I was thrilled that we would know something right away on Thursday! But the Lord wasn't done with the blessing! On Thursday after the EEG, we saw Dr. Morales for 40 minutes and never even saw the nurse practitioner! Joey's test showed signs of abnormalities. Dr. Morales ordered a brain M.R.I for Tuesday at 6:00 pm. He also requested doctor notes and pathology reports of Joey's birthmark that was removed last summer. He said that some types of birthmarks can be linked to seizure activity, so he wanted to follow-up with the reports. Thanks so much for all the calls, emails, and prayers for Joey. He is feeling fine and getting lots of rest! I'll update with new information as we get it this week.
Four days until cheomo. #5! I can feel the fatigue and muscle aches as my counts drop this time just like last time. I found out that Amy Bixby was taking liquid chlorophyll and alfalpha tablets to increase her hemoglobin. They were seeing positive results in raising her red blood cell counts. So I have started to use them this weekend. I don’t know if it will be evident in my blood counts on Thursday, but it will hopefully begin to raise them as I finish chemo. and prepare for surgery. Any low white or red blood cell counts could delay surgery.
As I "wait on the Lord" for Joey and for myself, I am drawn back to this verse that a dear friend shared with me during the time of "not knowing" in January.

Isaiah 30:20-21 "And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, "This is the way, walk in it" when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left."

2 comments:

  1. We are still praying. The Lord is already guiding you through, as evidenced by the doctor's availability. I know that he will see you through this trial, just as he took us through Tim's unemployment. Please tell Joey that we are praying for him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, just wanted you to know that I am praying for you often and appreciate your updates. My 48 year old brother has had epilepsy since he was 3 years old, so I am very familiar with seizures. There is so much about them (and the brain in general) that doctors do not know, but I trust that God will give you direction and guidance in seeking the right course of action for Joey. Praise the Lord for His answers to prayer already.

    ReplyDelete