Sunday, September 11, 2011

"For He will give His Angels Charge Over You"

September 11, 2011

"For He will give His angels charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways. They shall bear you up on their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone."
Psalm 91:11-12

"Follow me one step at a time. That is all I require of you. In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world." Taken from 40 Days with Jesus by Sarah Young

One chemo down and 5 to go. The side-effects so far are to be expected: nausea, joint pain, heartburn, metallic taste, etc. I did not have any reactions to the new chemo drugs, so that was a blessing. I will begin each time with premeds to help decrease the risk of a reaction (Benadryl, Aloxi, Zantac, Decadron, and Emend). That took about 1 and half hours. Then Herceptin for 90 minutes (that is the chemo I had for 17 treatments after my chemo in 2009). Pray for my heart function to stay up while I am on this drug. Then they ran the Taxol for 2 hours. It is similar to the Taxotere I had in 2009. Then finally the Carboplatin for about an hour. My port worked perfectly and should heal a little slower than normal because of the chemo. I went back for fluids on Saturday and will be returning to work tomorrow. It will be a long day with students I've only met once this year and Open House tomorrow night.
Thanks for all of your prayers and practical deeds for our family.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon!

    Praying for you as you work through this first week of your first cycle. I am doing almost the very same regimen that you are...I am doing Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin (with Herceptin being weekly until after the 6 cycles, then switching that to every 3 weeks for the remainder of a full year). I just returned home from my second round, ready to see what this one will hold for me. Had a 3 night hospital stay in the middle of my first cycle due to low WBC counts, and hoping to avoid that this time!

    Your blogs are a blessing to me! What wonderful promises we have from His Work that He will walk through all of this with us and will perfect and grow us to be more like Him as well. Blessings to you!

    Alison Stephens

    ReplyDelete