Friday, September 2, 2011

"This Present Darkness"

September 3, 2011 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm...In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one, and take up the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel...that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak."
Ephesians 6:10-13, 16-20

How true are these words in all of our lives? There are spiritual forces of evil at work in heavenly places, trying their best to thwart God's purposes in "this present darkness". But this passage reminds me to be strong in the power of His might, take up His shield of faith against these flaming darts, use the Sword of His word as a weapon, to persevere, to pray continually not only for myself but for all the saints, and to declare boldly the gospel of Christ as I ought to speak. There is another aspect for us as you pray for me and I pray for y0u..."that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel."As we entered the Cancer Center yesterday, we could immediately tell it was no normal day. It was Crazy Hat Day for the staff, one of their many efforts to bring humor into what could be a dismal environment. Somehow it made discussing chemotherapy a little easier when your doctor is wearing a multi-colored beanie with a propeller on top (Dr. Go loves airplanes and secretly desires to be a pilot)! Last week, the nurses were singing the theme from the Brady Bunch in the waiting area when we arrived. It truly is a special place there and I enjoy the mental and spiritual encouragement I receive from all who work there.
It was apparent by the end of the day that we were battling some "flaming darts" in the form of inadequacies within the medical staff at one office. Last week Joe and I sat in Dr. Go's office discussing ports. I already had an appointment with another surgeon but specifically asked for Dr. Young, who is a Christian and has prayed with me as he put in and removed my other port. Dr. Go's nurse called him immediately and set up an appointment to have the port installed yesterday at 3:20 in his office. I even called their office 2 times this week to verify that it would be office surgery-not outpatient. I thought this a little odd, since before they did it as out-patient, but she assured me I was scheduled. I even called someone from the Cancer Center to check on pre-authorization from my insurance company. So we waited 2 hours in Dr. Young's office after we finished at the Cancer Center, only to be told that Dr. Young only puts ports in during out-patient surgery. The only way you could explain such gross breakdown of communication is "spiritual forces of evil in heavenly places." I chose to have a Christian surgeon and there was a battle that followed. They felt horribly that the miscommunication had occurred and I proceeded with the necessary office visit to get ready for outpatient surgery next week. Dr. Young prayed with me using these very verses and prayed "in Jesus' Name" that the devil would be bound up and these cancer treatments would completely heal me. Due to the Labor Day holiday, he is slammed full Tuesday and Wednesday. My first chemotherapy is scheduled for Thursday. He told me he could put the port in on Thursday morning and I could be at the Cancer Center for chemo in the afternoon. If this is the Lord's will, He will give me strength and grace to do these in the same day. But I am asking all to pray that as I call Dr. Go's office at 8:00 on Tuesday; they will be able to convince Dr. Young to squeeze me into his Tuesday or Wednesday schedule. "We have not, because we ask not." Join our family as we ask the Lord for this to be worked out according to His will.I will begin my chemotherapy next Thursday, September 8. I will go back the next day for fluids to prevent dehydration and nausea. I will be using 2 new drugs, similar to the ones I've previously had, but a little different in case the cancer has built up immunity to them. And I will have Herceptin, which I have had 17 treatments of before, but never simultaneously with other chemo drugs. As always, there are risks of heart problems, lower blood counts, and other reactions, so I will appreciate your intense prayers for us all as I begin this journey and return to work on Monday, September 12. I will have chemo every 3 weeks for 6 rounds. Side effects should be fairly similar to before. I'll probably lose my hair around 2 or 3 weeks from next Thursday. Last time it was exactly 2 weeks to the day from my first treatment. I still have my "perfect hair day" "cranial prosthesis" (or in laymen's terms-my wig!) It is ready to go!
I praise the Lord for his providential work in circumstances surrounding my medical leave this week. I've recently been reading the Old Testament stories of Esther, Daniel, Nehemiah and others. In every story the Lord used His power and Spirit to influence the decisions of people in authority who in most cases did not even know or recognize Him as the One True God. I claimed this promise in my dealings with these trying situations this week and He marvelously answered my prayer. My paperwork has been approved to this point and I trust any issues that may arise from this point on will also be resolved. Thanks so much for all of the meals, gift cards, cards, and mostly, your prayers! We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment