Sunday, March 8, 2009

1st Chemotherapy

Journal Entry-January 29, 2009
Joe and I dropped the kids off at school and headed to the cancer center for my first chemotherapy. I have blood work done first to check my blood counts. This time they are also getting a baseline for my kidney and liver function, as well as a timber marker. This is a cancer indicator that they will check periodically to see the effectiveness of the chemotherapy. Then we're off to see Dr. Go! He is patient with my long list of questions. My EKG from earlier in the week showed my heart to be strong and ready for the chemo. drugs. They will recheck my heart later to determine if there is any damage from the chemo. The drug, Adriamycin, weakens the heart valve muscles, so there will always be a higher risk for me of heart related problems. But the cancer benefits far outweigh the negative side-effects. I will get 3 drugs each round of chemotherapy; once every three weeks for 6 rounds. They are: Adriamycin, Taxotere, and Cytoxan. We then go to the chemotherapy rooms to meet Cassie, my nurse. She goes over all the possible side-effects of the drugs and tells me what I should do to help prevent them. Then they start my IV with some pre-treatment medicines-benedryl in case of an allergic reaction, Emend for nausea, and Zofran for heartburn. After that they start with Adriamycin, affectionately called "the red devil". It is a bright red drug that comes in a large syringe and must be "pushed" through the IV port. You must eat ice the entire time they give it to reduce the size of the blood vessels in your mouth and throat to keep them from absorbing too much of the chemical. Cassie talks to me the whole time to keep my mind off the strong metal taste. It must be done very carefully so it doesn't back up in my IV and get on my skin. It would cause a serious chemical burn if it did (but ironically it's fine to put in my veins!). Cassie told me that once a lady told her that it isn't the "red devil" it is the blood of Jesus taking all the cancer out of her body! So I keep my thoughts on this! Next comes the other two medicines that go through my IV, Taxotere and Cytoxan. Joe and I eat lunch and I try to rest. The total time of chemo. was 4 and one half hours. I came home and rested. Someone from church brought us a wonderful meal. I ate, but tasted little. Joe and the kids gave me a cute card with a Weimaraner on the front that looks just our Brissy!
One down, five to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment